Listen to the track and answer the following questions.
a. What is the name of the radio programme?
b. How many million pounds of debt did the British Crown have after the wars?
c. Which two Acts were introduced in 1764?
d. Why was there so much tea rotting in the London warehouses in 1773?
e. Because of the new Tea Act the East India Company had to pay taxes when one of their tea ships …
1. entered London.
2. entered London and again when it entered a New England harbour.
3. entered a New England harbour.
f. Citizens wanted …
1. the tea to be sold more cheaply.
2. the ships with the tea to be unloaded quickly.
3. the ships with the tea to return to England without unloading the tea.
g. Samuel Adams became famous for having said:
1. “This meeting can do more to save the country.”
2. “This meeting can do nothing more to save the country.”
3. “This meeting can do much more to save the country.”
h. When the men threw the tea overboard …
1. they worked quickly and caused a lot of damage.
2. they were rather slow but didn’t damage anything.
3. they worked quickly and didn’t damage anything.
i. Historians say that the most important effect of the Boston Tea Party was that …
1. he desire for independence gained strength throughout New England.
2. the British Crown couldn’t control the colonists.
3. tea was thrown overboard in other New England ports.
j. The Sons of Liberty dressed up as Native Americans, because
1. they wanted to blame the Native Americans, to avoid arrest themselves.
2. the Native Americans were a symbol of freedom and independence.
3. the Native Americans were a symbol of war with Britain.
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets. Use the gerund or the infinitive.
- I can’t stand ______ (clean) the bathroom.
- My parents prefer ______ (go) for a walk to ______ (watch) TV. My brother and I love ______ (stay) alone in the house.
- I was delighted ______ (hear) that I had succeeded in passing the test.
- It is too expensive ______ (buy) a new car every other year.
- My brother really deserves ______ (win) this match.
- He denied ______ (steal) the cell phone.
Choose from the given verbs and be careful, you will have to decide whether to use a gerund or an infinitive: to be (2x) - to come - to ask - to spend - to help - to drive - to hear - to complain.
- What about Aunt Sally ______ to Florida with us? She’s really a nice person to be with, and she would enjoy the trip.
- Instead of ______ about the rain, we should enjoy ourselves.
- In times like this, it’s no use ______ all your money on luxury items.
- On ______ the bad news, she turned pale.
- Sue lent Ben her parents’ car ______ with without ______ her parents.
- Thank you for ______ so helpful!
- Apart from ______ a good friend, Daryl is always there ______ me!
Connect the sentences by using a gerund.
- My sister stays out late every Saturday night. She enjoys it.
- Sally might become a movie star one day. Her boyfriend doesn’t even like the idea of it.
- My brother never saves any money. He isn’t good at it.
- Our parents want to go out for dinner. They suggest it.
- Lauren wants to move out when she’s 21. She’s talking of it already.
- Sam has got to go to the dentist’s again. He’s frightened of it.
- Linda reads bedtime stories to her nephew and niece. They like it.
- Rick spends a lot of money on books. His mum is very fond of it.
Klassenarbeit Englisch 8. ‐ 9. Klasse