Read the following text about Meg and answer the questions.
Meg Stevens, London
I’m a teenager, seventeen years old. My teenage years haven’t really been as good as they could have been; they are over now because I have a baby daughter and I’m a single mother. By the time my six-month-old daughter is able to look after herself, I’ll be thirty-something, and too old to do the things that I am now missing out on. I would love to go clubbing and be like all the other teenagers who are enjoying themselves. Unfortunately, I’ll never have these things, but I’m the one to be blamed: it’s all my fault. I should have taken something to prevent me getting pregnant. I got pregnant by my first boyfriend – just imagine. He didn’t want the baby, but I wouldn’t have an abortion. I was terribly scared. My boyfriend wouldn’t marry me, of course. He wanted to be free, and above all, his parents disapproved. He simply said: “I don’t want to listen to a screaming baby all day long. There is more to life than wasting my time on a baby.” I got used to the idea after a while, and I couldn’t wait to put the clothes I’d bought on the baby. My boyfriend didn’t care at all – he bought her nothing whatsoever. I never really thought about what it would be like to stay in every night while I was expecting; I was so used to going out whenever I wanted. She’s already been born, and I love her, but I do wish that I were still free. Before I got pregnant, I was still going to school – I was in my last year. I hated being a pupil, but now I think it's a pity that I haven’t done my A-levels yet. I wish I could do it right now. Maybe I’ll never pass them, and I've always wanted to go to university; I’d like to become a doctor – some day. If I had the chance to go back in time, I would, and I’d make sure I didn’t get pregnant the second time around. I would have a baby after I got married, but I’d want to be at least twenty-six years old.
1. What does Meg blame herself for?
2. What did her boyfriend's parents think about the pregnancy?
3. What does Meg think about her school career?
4. What was one of Meg's favourite free-time activities?
Complete the following sentences about Meg. Use the information from the text at hand, but do not copy it. Use your own words instead.
- Meg is quite frustrated because __________________________________.
- One reason for her frustration is the fact __________________________________.
- Unfortunately, her ex-boyfriend __________________________________.
- To make matters worse, __________________________________.
- Having no proper school degree, __________________________________.
- Meg feels like __________________________________.
- She is not against the baby, but __________________________________.
Sum up the text about Meg. Stick to the criteria that are important for summary writing.