Tick off the correct answers.
□ In the 18th century the representatives from the thirteen former colonies met in Philadelphia.
□ Those representatives saw to it that the government should have three different houses.
□ Congress heads the legislative branch.
□ The executive branch enforces the president.
□ The judical branch is represented by the Supreme Court.
□ The branches were established by those who wrote the Constitution because they feared that the king of England might get too powerful.
□ According the system of “checks and balances”, the President can veto laws.
□ Congress can reject the president
Write down the correct version of the false statements.
Connect the two sentences using a proper relative pronoun. Put commas where necessary.
- My dad cooked this wonderful meal. He likes to eat.
- Madame Monique is married to a physician. She is our French teacher.
- The book is boring. I found it on the underground.
- My boyfriend gave me tickets for the pop concert. I like him very much.
- The boy is talking to Jane. He is her brother.
- Ronald Reagan was a movie star. He was president of the USA, too.
Translate the German parts of the sentences into English. Mark the relative pronoun in contanct clauses and use commas where necessary.
- This is the part of Ireland (den meine Eltern sehr mögen) ________________________________.
- Linda won the competition (was uns alle überraschte) ________________________________.
- The film (den Fred letzten Samstag sah) ________________________________ was rather scary.
- Green is a colour (die dir wirklich gut steht) ________________________________ .
- Where are all the sandwiches (die Vater vor einigen Minuten gemacht hat) ________________________________?
- The woman (die neben uns wohnt) ________________________________ sings beautifully.
Add the missing relative pronouns and commas where necessary.
- Our school ________ is located across a wonderful park ________ is old but beautiful.
- It was my sister ________ gave me the tickets for the rock concert.
- The people ________ I work with ________ are very nice.
- Last week, I took my niece to the restaurant ________ is just around the corner.
- The woman ________ lives next door ________ writes cookery books.
- The Channel Islands ________ consist of four main islands ________ lie in the English Channel.
- My new classmate ________ father is a doctor ________ is quite cool.
Translate the following sentences into English. Use the correct relative pronoun and decide whether you need to use a comma or not.
- Die Frau, die ich auf der Fähre getroffen habe, ist aus Neuseeland.
- Die Probleme, über die wir gerade reden, sind sehr ernst.
- Das Haus, dessen Schornstein fehlt, steht leer.
- Kennst du die Leute, mit denen Mary gestern geredet hat?
- Unsere Freunde, die aus den USA sind, reisen viel.
- Wo ist das Hemd, das ich dir geliehen habe?