Change the active sentences into passive sentences.
- He is buying ice cream for the party.
- They received two letters yesterday.
- By next week, our teacher will have graded our exams.
Jakob is an exchange student at a US high school. Listen to the conversation and mark each statement as true or false.
- Maggie is a school counselor. true/false
- Jakob hasn’t gotten his username and password yet. true/false
- Students at Union High School have a free period for activities every day. true/false
- Students can sign up for activities that they are interested in. true/false
- Jakob should check his online school account at least once a day. true/false
- Maggie and Jakob make plans to meet the next afternoon. true/false
Adapt the story so it uses the impersonal passive.
News reports say yesterday’s snowstorm is the worst storm in history. People at the scene claim that the snow is as high as the houses. People in the city fear they will be trapped in their flats for weeks. Experts believe a storm out at sea caused more snow to fall than predicted. Newspapers reported that there is no electricity in 50% of the region. Government officials said the cleanup would take about a week.
You’ve been asked to give a tour of your town or a nearby city to students who are visiting from England. Use the passive voice to write about one or two tourist attractions. Be sure to include current activities or future plans at the attraction(s). Write at least 10 sentences.