Complete the grid by giving the comparative and the superlative of the adjective.
comparative superlative big happy expensive good exciting old bad much/many fast pretty
Complete the sentences by using a suitable reflexive pronoun. If there is a verb which cannot be followed by a reflexive pronoun, write XXX.
1. They are helping ___________________ with their homework.
2. She has changed __________________ since I saw her the last time.
3. I try to do the washing-up ______________.
4. Sheila and Mary are learning English without talking to _______________. They are teaching ____________ how to use reflexive pronouns.
5. You have to look after ____________ on your way to school.
6. If you feel sick, go home and make __________ a cup of tea.
7. I always feel __________ a little scared when it gets dark.
8. John is enjoying _______________ in the garden.
Use the words given to form proper English sentences. Mind the sentence structure, especially the position of the adverbs. There might be more than one correct answer.
1. at the weekend --- meets --- her friends --- Sheila --- sometimes --- in Camden
2. for her travel blog --- has --- in the course of the last two years --- different prizes --- she --- won
3. in front of the computer --- she --- spent her time --- while --- her friends --- often --- were waiting --- for her
4. some new --- whenever --- Sheila --- a new post --- there are --- travel hotspots --- makes
5. are --- although --- very expensive --- people --- some of the suggestions --- like to read them --- Sheila --- makes
Your are working for your school newspaper and there are only 2 hours left until all the articles must be finished. One of your colleagues gives you a small note with information about a festival in your town. Although you don't know very much about it, your colleague asks you to write a short report. Use the given information, and feel free to add some of your own ideas and adjectives to make the text more interesting. Don't forget to come up with a catchy headline.
When? Last Saturday; sunny weather
What? European Festival in Munich; music bands; "European" poem competition; buskers; street food
How many people? 30,000; young and old people; international visitors
Where? Olympic Park, Munich
Why? European idea, signal for European friendship, Munich as a European city, many people with different cultural backgrounds
Additional information: some famous people visited the festival as well; festival will take place every year; volunteers for the organization are wanted
You are so convinced by the idea of a European festival that you want to convince your school to organize some European activities. Write an e-mail to your English teacher in which you inform him about your ideas.
The report from exercise 4 might help you. Here are some additional ideas that could make your text more interesting:
- a "European day" (celebrated on May 9)
- school exchanges with other European nations
- a European food festival
- additional language courses in your school
- a journey to the European institutions in Bruxelles, Strasbourg etc.
Start like this:
Dear Mr Smith,
Did you hear about the European Festival in Munich last weekend? I was so amazed by the idea that I ...