Tick the sentences that contain a contact clause.
☐ I felt bad for the woman who fell on the ice and hurt her leg.
☐ The teacher said our class did well on the test we took last week.
☐ My computer, which I got as a gift from my grandparents last year, is great for playing computer games on.
☐ The clothing I get from my older cousin is always fashionable.
☐ Last week we walked by the house in which we grew up.
☐ The boy who scored the winning goal is my brother.
☐ On Friday we went to a fantastic club located in the eastern part of the city.
☐ No one enjoys summer holidays spent at home.
Mark the relative clause in each sentence and decide if a sentence has a defining relative clause or a non-defining relative clause. Add commas if necessary.
defining non-defining The Kingfishers which are based in Dublin are performing in Berlin this summer. I´m going to the concert with Florian whose dad works for the band´s record label. The tickets he got for the concert are in the fifth row. The band will play at the Tempelhofer Feld where many famous bands perform each year. The last time the band played in Berlin there was a terrible thunderstorm that caused the concert to be cancelled. Especially the fans who had travelled to the concert from all over the Germany were very disappointed. The band which has a huge number of fans in Germany rescheduled the sold-out concert for a few weeks later.
Combine each pair of sentences using a defining relative clause or a non-defining relative clause.
- My dad’s car broke down last week. My parents had bought it when I was born.
- Ms Williams will become a pensioner next summer. She has been teaching for over 30 years.
- The dog came to live with us. Its owner was ill.
- The house quickly became a popular tourist destination. It’s where the blockbuster film had been shot.
- Music class meets every Tuesday and Thursday at 3 p.m. We all love that class.
Complete the sentences/questions.
- My best friend, who ________________________________________________
- ________________________________________________is the school subject that ________________________________________________
- ________________________________________________is someone who ________________________________________________
- The movie that ________________________________________________
- Do you know anyone who ________________________________________________
- My aunt, whose ________________________________________________
- ________________________________________________is an app that ________________________________________________
- ________________________________________________is volleyball, which ________________________________________________
- The free-time activities which ________________________________________________
- The Eiffel Tower, which ________________________________________________
- The city where ________________________________________________
Translate the sentences into English. Each sentence will have a defining or non-defining relative clause. If the sentence contains a contact clause, leave out the relative pronoun.
- Ich singe immer noch das Lied, welches ich heute Morgen im Radio hörte.
- Sie kaufte den Pullover in dem Geschäft, das Produkte aus Indonesien verkauft.
- Erinnerst du dich an unsere Nachbarin, die jeden Morgen mit ihrem Hund joggte?
- Herr Reynolds, der erst kürzlich im Krankenhaus war, fragte seine Tochter, ob sie ihm heute Lebensmittel kaufen könnte.
- Die Frau, deren Sohn gemobbt wurde, schrieb ein Buch über seine Erfahrungen.