Translate the following words.
- jemanden mit etwas versorgen
- to take part in something
- bad conscience
- to insist on something
Last week, Mrs Baker left her children alone for a few hours because she had to do the shopping. When she got home, she found out that her children had been doing things they are usually not allowed to do. Complete the sentences with the verbs in the past perfect progressive.
- Jim ______ (listen) to loud music, so that the neighbours had already complained three times.
- Susan ______ (talk) on the phone for two hours.
- Philip ______ (play) computer games all afternoon.
- Little Zachary ______ (throw up) for half an hour, because he had eaten lots of chocolate bars.
Use either the simple past, the past perfect simple or the past perfect progressive.
- to live / to move: How long ____ you ____ in Europe before you ____ to New York?
- to go: He ____ never ____ by Underground before.
- to travel: After he ____ for half an hour he realised that he was going in the wrong direction.
- to drive: How long ____ Robert ____ before he had his first accident?
- to talk / to hear: My mother ____ to her neighbour when she suddenly ____ a terrible noise.
- to collect / to listen / to acquire: Derek ____ Beatles records for a while before he actually ____ to them. He ____ already ____ quite a few records when he decided to sell them.
Read the text and solve the following tasks.
a. Answer the following questions on the text. You don't have to write full sentences. Your headings can help you.
b. Read the following statements about the text and decide whether they are right or wrong. Correct the wrong ones.
1. Tanaeka is an endurance ritual.
2. The ceremony shows that a man is still a boy at heart.
3. According to the legend the island, on which the Kaw people lived, was very big.
4. Legend says that fish enlarged the island.
5. The name of the Great Spirit is Wakanda.
6. Peter tells John that his Tanaeka was very hard.
7. John doesn’t like the idea of having to go into the wilderness.
8. That is why he doesn’t listen when his grandfather teaches him everything he needs to know in order to survive there.
9. John’s mother agrees with his grandfather that he has to undergo the ritual.
10. John finds some wild berries and eats them.
11. After five days John goes back to his family.
12. Peter buys all the food for John and later wants to have the money back.