Read the passive sentences. Write the tense of the passive sentences on the line.
Answers could be the following: simple present passive, present progressive passive, present perfect passive, simple past passive, past progressive passive, past perfect passive, and future passive.
- The programme will be attended by all the new trainees. __________________
- This delicious cake was made by Sarah. __________________
- The train tracks were being inspected this morning, so it took me more time to get to school than usual. __________________
- Kyle is being seen by the doctor now. __________________
- This jacket was given to me by my sister. __________________
- The visitors had been told by the tour guide not to take pictures, but they did it anyway. __________________
- My order has already been taken by that waiter. But thank you for your help. __________________
- The party will be held at Bill’s house. His parents are away for the weekend. __________________
- By December 10 we will have been sent the order. __________________
- The fire started while the young boy was being watched by his neighbour. __________________
Use the passive to describe the steps from harvesting cotton to purchasing a T-shirt. Write at least 8-10 sentences. Use the pictures to help you.
Listen and then answer the questions. A friend of yours missed the report, but needs to drive to a friend’s house later today.
- What’s the problem and what has been the result so far?
- Where did it happen?
- When did it happen?
- Who is responsible?
- Who has been affected? What should your friend do?
- How did it happen?
Rewrite the sentences so that sentences in passive voice are active voice, and sentences in active voice are passive voice. One sentence contains both passive and active.
- In the last years of the nineteenth century, our world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than ours.
- While men were dealing with their various concerns, we were being studied by the Martians.
- Man had been blinded by his own importance.
- No writers believed that intelligent life might have developed on Mars.
- Nor was it generally understood that since Mars is older than our earth, it was also nearer to its end.
- The immediate necessity to find a new home motivated the Martians to take action.
- They saw a morning star of hope: our own warmer planet.
- Before we judge them too harshly, we must remember what ruthless and utter destruction our own species has brought about.
- The Martians had calculated their descent with amazing subtlety.
- We might have seen the gathering trouble far back in the nineteenth century, but our instruments were not good enough.
- For countless centuries, Mars has been called the star of war by us.
Adapted from: Wells, H.G. The War of the Worlds. 1898.