Which expressions can you use to end a formal letter?
a. Dear Mr Jones
b. Yours truly, Mara Jones
c. Love, Ben
d. Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
e. Regards, Anny
f. Yours sincerely, Evan Adams
g. Best regards, Ann Jones
h. Bye, Ann Jones
i. See you soon, Benny
Complete the sentences using the correct forms of the verbs in brackets.
1. I ___________________(to write) regarding my hotel reservation.
2. We __________________(to look forward) to hearing from you again soon.
3. Please let me know if you _________________ (to have) any further questions.
4. I _________________ (to enclose) my CV with this letter.
5. Would you please be so kind as ________________(to let) me know the project deadline?
Translate the following sentences into German or English.
- Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
- I am looking forward to hearing from you.
- I am writing regarding my application.
- Ich würde Ihnen gerne für Ihr Feedback danken.
- Anbei finden Sie die benötigten Unterlagen.
Complete this formal letter using appropriate words and expressions.
March 25, 2011
Hopi Cultural Centre and Tourist Information
P.O. Box 129
I received your address from my English teacher, Mrs. Schwarz. ________________ because our class is planning to visit the Hopi Reservation in October this year. We have learned a lot about Native American culture and history at school. That is why we have decided to visit a reservation during our exchange trip to the USA. I hope you will recommend some interesting places for us to visit. Do you have a Visitor Center, museum or something similar?
We are especially interested in the living conditions and traditional housing and culture of the Hopi Indians. A guided tour in English would be wonderful. We have had three years of English lessons so far, so hopefully we will be able to understand most of the tour. _______________________ if you could help us with information or leaflets, including details of accommodations for school groups at the reservation. ______________________, you can also contact me by e-mail or telephone.
______________________ to hearing from you soon.
A letter to your host family
Imagine that in a few months you will go on your exchange trip to the UK. You will stay with a British family, the Joneses, while you are there. Your teacher, Mrs Maier, has told you to write a formal letter to your host family to introduce yourself. These are the things you should mention in your letter: the purpose of your letter, facts about yourself and the planned program (school in the mornings, excursions in the afternoons, family time only in the evenings and at the weekends). Do not forget to thank the Joneses for letting you stay with them, and apologise for possible language mistakes in your letter. Write about 250-300 words.