Mark and categorize the adverbial clauses in the following sentences.
a) While a mosquito bite only itches a little, a dog bite can really hurt.
b) As Jasmin was tidying up her room, her mother was doing the laundry.
c) Tom never eats spinach, because he does not like it.
d) My father adds hot sauce to every meal in order to make it more spicy.
e) Wherever I go these days, people always look too busy to notice the small, beautiful things.
f) Lucy was so embarrassed that her cheeks turned bright red.
g) Emma read a book while Jakob jumped on his bed.
h) Kevin's father does not allow him to run with scissors in his hands as he considers it too dangerous.
Match the main clauses and the appropriate adverbial clauses.
Linda painted a picture of an Irish landscape when they blossom in spring. Characters in horror films often go upstairs while Olga did a portrait of her boyfriend. Cherry trees are very beautiful even though they know it's more difficult to escape from there. Henry is scared to speak up during English lessons, because he cannot pronounce the English th-sound. I always get a little sad in order for the cat to be able to get in and out of the house on its own. Sam’s father installed a cat door when all the Christmas decorations get put away again.
Rewrite each pair of sentences using adverbial clauses with appropriate conjunctions. There may be more than one possible solution.
- Jane really enjoyed the new Star Wars film. Lisa, on the other hand, really despised it.
- Toddlers know it’s dangerous to play with matches. They do it anyway.
- David cannot carry a tune. That is why he always just pretends to sing in music class.
- I listen to my favourite songs on my way to school. That's the time I get really happy.
- Lucy’s grandma knitted sweaters for all her cats. She wants to ensure that they keep warm.
Follow the link and read the article from the Guardian published on January 7th, 2018.
Then complete the following sentences.
- The phrase 'white working class' has become commonplace, even though...
- White people are seen as divided by class, whereas non-whites...
- Academics and policy makers were so fixated by ethnic categories that...
- Over the past two decades, the performance of disadvantaged minority pupils has improved dramatically, whereas ...
- The arguments about white culture are dangerous, because ...
Translate these German sentences into English using the correct conjunctions.
- Wann immer ich im Winter raus gehe, ist es dunkel.
- Obwohl er noch nie ein echtes Krokodil gesehen hatte, erkannte Daniel es sofort.
- Weil er nichts Besseres zu tun hatte, entschied Jonas sich dazu, seine Comicbuchsammlung zu sortieren.
- Lucy musste so sehr über den stolpernden Kellner lachen, dass ihr der Apfelsaft zur Nase wieder herauskam.
- Ich verstecke mein Tagebuch immer, damit meine kleine Schwester es nicht heimlich liest.
- Während Berivan schon bei der vierten Aufgabe war, machte Katharina noch Aufgabe 1.