Choose the word with a similar meaning to the word in italics.
Example: to doubt
a) to accept b) to practice c) to be unsure
a) native Australian b) young Australian
c) people from different countries outside Australia
- to act
a) to behave b) to do sports c) to make
a) alone b) one of a kind c) crazy
- an extract (from)
a) a part (of) b) a juice c) a mixture
a) positive b) cold c) quiet
Link the following sentences by using a relative clause.
Example: Australia is a continent. Australia is also a country.
→ Australia, which is a continent, is also a country.
- The outback covers a large part of Australia. It is a very dry area.
- There still are people native to Australia. They are called Aborigines.
- Kangaroos and koala bears come from Australia. They are also a symbol for the country .
- Sidney is Australia’s most famous city. It is also its most populous city.
- The mountain Uluru is located in the outback. It is the most important mountain in Australia.
- Queen Elizabeth II is the queen of England. She is also the queen of Australia.
- Canberra is not the biggest city in Australia. It is Australia’s capital.
Listening to the following track on Australian bush flies and decide, if the information is true or false.
statement true false 1. The speaker is working as a university professor in Australia. 2. It’s because of the cows that there is such a great number of bush flies in Australia. 3. Cows, and cattle in general, are not very important to Australia’s economy. 4. The dung beetles can help in finding a solution to the problem. 5. They also tried to import beetles from African countries. 6. The bush flies are more active before sunset.
Quelle: Besser in Englisch. Gym 9. Klasse Audiodateien: „Bush flies. A letter from Australia.”
Read the following extract from Sandy’s travel blog entry on her trip to the Australia. Finish the story and write about 150 words.
When I was planning my trip to Australia, I was sure that Sydney would be a highlight. Who hasn't seen the great photos of this huge city yet? By the way, Sydney is one of the cities with the highest quality of life in the world. After an extensive sightseeing tour through the city, I decided to go surfing at Bondi Beach. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to store my valuables safely. But it was hot, and the water was tempting. So I simply put my valuables under my beach towel - money, passport, ticket for the flight back to England...
When I returned to my beach place an hour later, the towel was still there...