Match the following nouns with the correct descriptions.
election – liberty – responsibility – cliché – pregnancy – impression – injury
- It is a certain idea people have of, for instance, ethnic groups or people from other countries. It’s like a stereotype, because it can be wrong. ______________
- This is the state women are in when they are expecting a baby. ________________
- It is the way you think or behave when you feel free. _______________
- This is what you get when you are physically hurt. _______________
- In the US, it is held every four years. When this event takes place, Americans vote for a new president. ________________________
- When you are in charge of something or someone, you have the full _________________ .
- It is like an idea or opinion you have of something or someone. ________________
Spot and correct the mistakes in the given conditional sentences. Sometimes, there is more than one option.
1. If it would rain next Monday, I won’t go to the tennis match.
2. If I had won the poetry competition, I will be happy.
3. I would buy this computer if the performance is better.
4. If she be in town next summer, we would certainly spend our time together.
5. I would have done better in the test if I learnt more.
6. He will come to your birthday party if you asked him.
Read the following teenage voices and decide if the information is true, false, or not in the text.
To me, being a girl means spending a lot of time in a group and talking about things. Girls seem to be more able to sort out situations by being supportive and sharing things with each other. I think they are able to sort out situations that arise amongst their friends better than boys do. Mind you, there is still a lot of bitchiness amongst girls. They might compliment each other but not really mean it, because they really just want a compliment in return. I don't think boys judge as much. They find it much easier to just start up a conversation, whereas a girl would judge someone's personality by what they're wearing and then decide whether to talk to them or not.
I'd rather be a girl than a boy. I'm generalising a bit, but I think boys mask over who they really are just to impress friends, whereas girls are more individual and don't just follow the crowd to please others. Girls don't have a problem with comforting their friends, but if a boy was seen doing this, other boys would jump to conclusions and tease him for being gay. But being a girl is not easy, because there's a lot of pressure on us to look good. Girls judge each other more on appearance. Boys appear to be a lot more confident than girls. They get into fights a lot more than girls. I've never been in a fight. I'm far too timid and afraid to confront people. I run away from conflict.
The girls in our class all seem to work harder and learn more, and they usually get better results. And they don't mess around as much as the boys. The boys get bored more easily. They tend to want to look cool. Some mess around to impress the girls, but there are some who do it if anyone's there at all, not just girls. The girls are all interested in older boys, so none of them have boyfriends in our class. In the breaks we go around in a gang, but we don't talk about the girls, just mainly about music and games and stuff like that. Some boys are obsessed with their appearance. They're always rushing off to put gel in their hair.
Quelle: Green Line New 6. Ausgabe für Bayern. S. 10-11.
not in the text
- Annabel thinks that girls are more efficient regarding problem-solving.
- Annabel says that it is easier for girls to start talking to other people.
- Bethany argues that boys often pretend to be someone else.
- Bethany explains that it is very important for girls to wear the latest fashion.
- Anabel says that girls behave much more naturally than boys.
- Nick states that boys get into trouble more easily.
- In all the other classes of Nick’s grade, girls usually do not have boyfriends.
to arise = to come up
to judge = to have an opinion, often a negative one
to comfort = to support someone when he or she feels sad
obsessed with = crazy about
Write an essay about being a teenage girl and/or being a teenage boy. Write between 180 and 220 words.