The adverbial clause is bolded in each sentence. Write the type of adverbial clause (time, place, reason, contrast, purpose, result) on the line.
- As we were hungry, we made some sandwiches. _______________________________
- Let’s visit the cave where they found the gold. ___________________________________
- The man was so mad that he started yelling at the kid. _____________________________
- Although she wanted to see the new comedy, she agreed to see the action film. ___________________________________
- The clubs are crowded wherever we go. ___________________________________
- My sister and I are very different. While she loves horses, I love cats. ___________________________________
- They learned the words to all the band’s songs so that they could sing along at the concert. ___________________________________
- Our computer is so slow that we can’t go online. ___________________________________
- As soon as he finished school, he started working in his dad’s shop. ___________________________________
- In order that she won’t get cold, she always brings an extra jumper. ___________________________________
Match the sentence beginnings with the sentence.
- She turned out the lights
- People are looking at their mobile phones
- We were out shopping
- They took out the rubbish
- I saw a mouse
- They don’t have the same interests
- He couldn’t run quickly
- You can find nice shops
anywhere in the city.
since his foot hurt.
before leaving the room.
while looking for something in the cellar.
wherever they go.
even though they are twins.
until about 8 last night.
so that the kitchen wouldn’t start to smell.
Use the information to build sentences with adverb clauses of result. You can form the sentences with so + adjective + that, with so + adverb + that, or with so much/many/little/few + noun + that.
- he / has / hobbies / has no time for his homework
- we / talked / softly / our classmates couldn’t hear us
- she was / tired / fell asleep during the lesson
- they / had / fun / didn’t want to leave the water park.
- I / walked / quickly / was the first one there
- we were / surprised / they visited us / forgot to offer them a drink
Listen to the audio and complete the sentences.
- Zelda thinks her curfew is unfair since _____________________________.
- Although _____________________________, Zelda’s parents don’t understand why it’s important to her to stay out as late as her friends.
- Zelda’s parents say she must come home at midnight because _____________________________.
- Zelda came home late once after _____________________________.
- Zelda must send her parents a ping whenever _____________________________.
- Even though _____________________________, Zelda tries to follow them.