Match the words in a with their translation equivalents in b.
a b 1. to praise sbd a. etwas einreichen 2. cash b. jdn loben 3. wage c. anständig 4. upright d. Vorbild 5. role model e. Lohn 6. to hand sth in f. Bargeld
Which present tense is used in the following sentences? Fill in the table by assigning each sentence to the appropriate column. You do not need to write the full sentences, just their numbers.
- I have been doing my homework all day.
- Jim and Jill have lived in this house for thirty years.
- My mother's washing the dishes in the kitchen.
- We often go to an ice-cream cafe after school.
present simple present progressive present perfect present perfect progressive
Read the newspaper article.
9-year-old hands in lost cash
by Ken Parker (Kentish Star, Saturday, May 4, 2013)
A schoolgirl was praised for her honest act of handing in a bag with hundreds of pounds she had found in the street to the police in Canterbury, Kent, last week. Harriet Walker, a nine-year old girl, was on her way to a local supermarket on Tuesday, April 30, when she spotted the bag with the cash.
She said, "It was so strange. I almost fell over the bag. When my foot touched it, there was the noise of coins which were clinking inside. When I opened the bag there was lots of cash. I've never seen so much money ever before." Harriet rushed back to her family's home in Canterbury, Kent, where she and her dad counted the cash before they took it to the local police station. Harriet, a primary pupil at St Martin's Primary School, said "I'm sure it must have been someone's pension or a whole week's wage. The poor person who lost the bag must be feeling so bad now".
Mr Walker, 38, who is a freelance finance consultant, said: "It was Harriet's idea to hand it in to the police. She didn't want us to tell anybody about the bag with the cash. She's such a good girl. She's our pride." Harriet's mother, 37, a housewife, said: "She's always been absolutely honest. I'm so proud of her."
Sergeant William Smith from the police station said: "Anybody who finds a purse or bag with money shows honesty when he or she hands it in to the police. Unfortunately, not many people do so nowadays. Harriet is a good role model for other kids. Such an act of great honesty should be praised in public, because it demonstrates how to be an upright citizen."
Details about the bag or where the money was found have not been disclosed. This is so that the owner can prove that it is theirs.
Are the statements about the text true or false? Write T if a statement is true, write F if a statement is false.
- Harriet Walker, a nine-year old girl, was on her way to school when she saw the bag with the cash.
- Harriet didn't want her parents to tell anybody about her discovery.
- It was Mr Walker's idea to take the bag with the cash to the police.
- Harriet Walker was applauded for her generosity.
- Anybody who finds a purse or a bag with money displays honesty when he or she hands it in to the police.
Write a summary of the newspaper article 9-year-old hands in lost cash you have just read. Remember to use synonyms and linking words. Write about 150 words.
Translate the following sentences into English. Use present simple, present progressive, present perfect or present perfect progressive.
- Normalerweise gehe ich gerne ins Kino.
- Ich freue mich schon seit Tagen auf diesen Abend.
- Aber etwas fühlt sich heute anders an.
- Ich habe mir bereits alle Trailer zu dem Film angeschaut.
- Gerade jetzt stehe ich vor dem Kino und warte auf meine Freunde.
- Kommt einer von ihnen gerade da um die Ecke?
- Nein, es ist nur ein Mann, der sich gerade eine Zigarette anzündet.
- Vielleicht haben meine Freunde vergessen, dass wir uns hier treffen wollten.
- Was, wenn ihnen etwas zugestoßen ist?
- Zum Glück kommen sie da gerade auf ihren Fahrrädern an.