Present tense (simple und progressive) oder present perfect (simple und progressive)?
Mark the correct form.
- What do you do/are you doing in your free time? I read/am reading a lot.
- I begin/am beginning to get quite angry with Tony. He always takes / is always taking my things without asking! He hasn’t given/ isn’t giving me back my books yet.
- How long have you known/do you know your boyfriend? – I have been going out /go out with Tom for several months now. We usually meet /have met at the weekend.
Translate the expressions in brackets. Pay attention to the correct conversion of the present tense into English.
- Dave’s sister ________ (lebt) in England, but at the moment she ________ (hält sich auf) in Spain.
- It’s Susan’s birthday, and we ________ (wir feiern) tonight.
- A friend of mine ________ (fährt Ski) for years.
- Put the volume down, or there ________ (gibt Ärger).
- Welcome to Seattle. How long ________ (bleibst du)?
Form sentences by connecting the correct parts of the sentences to each other using when or while.
Susan – work in her room he – notice a man running to a car Tom – hear the scream her sister – write letters in the kitchen Mr Brown – open the window he – read a book The boys – try to phone the police an air hostess – offer some hot drinks The passengers – relax in their seats a stranger – walking around the house
Check if you know the tenses simple present, present progressive, simple past and past progressive.
Choose the correct tense for the verbs in brackets.
- A good education ________ (to teach) you to think critically.
- Andrew is a good friend of mine, but I ________ (not to know) where he ________ (to live).
- Judy ________ (to take) her exams at the moment. She ________ (not to pass) them last year.
- In some states of the United States teenagers ________ (to drive) cars at the age of 17.
- When we ________ (to be) at high school we ________ (to wear) hats everybody hated.
- The car ________ (to go) past the house-fronts, ________ (to turn) left and suddenly it ________ (to speed) towards the strange lady.
You are picking up your American friend from the airport.
Ask him ...
- ... ob er schon gefrühstückt hat.
- ... ob er schon einmal in Deutschland war.
- ... ob er schon zuvor geflogen ist.
- ... ob er schon jemals Sauerkraut gegessen hat.
- ... ob er schon das Buch über Deutschland gelesen hat.
- ... ob er schon seine Eltern angerufen hat.