Read each sentence. Underline the past tenses. Then make a list of the phrases you underlined and write the name of the tense next to each phrase. You will find examples of the simple past, past progressive, past perfect, and past perfect progressive.
- We were visiting the famous building when my friend hurt her foot.
- Much to my parents’ surprise, I had prepared dinner before they arrived home from work.
- They had been hiking for about six hours before they reached their destination.
- She had just found the bus stop when her bus drove past her.
- He was eating popcorn very loudly while he was watching the movie.
Past perfect or past perfect progressive? Complete the gaps with the correct answers.
- They ______________ (to not chat) online for more than ten minutes when she said she had to log off.
- It arrived in March, but they ______________ (to expect) the letter since January.
- Luckily, before she ordered coffee, she ______________ (to notice) that the café offered delicious hot chocolate.
- We ______________ (to drive) for an hour when I noticed I had forgotten my book at the hotel.
- You solved that puzzle very quickly. ______________ (you / to see) it before?
Use the information in the chart to make sentences about Adam’s life. Use the simple past, past progressive, past perfect and past perfect progressive. Write ten sentences.
Born in Bremen in 1990 Moved to Wolfsburg in 1995 Moved to Chemnitz in 2008
- Attended Kindergarten from 1993 to 1995
- Started learning English in 1994
- Learned to swim 1997-1998
- Attended Grammar School 42 from 1996 to 2001
- Attended the Wolfsburg Gymnasium from 2000 to 2007
- Studied Biology at the TU Chemnitz from 2008 to 2014
- Received his college degree in 2014
- Met his girlfriend Iris in 2010
Complete the sentences using the correct past tense of the verbs in brackets. You will use the simple past, the past progressive, and the past perfect tenses.
One night - it __________ (to be) on the twentieth of March, 1888 - I __________ (to return) from a journey to a patient (for I __________ (to return) to practicing medicine), when my way __________ (to lead) me through Baker Street. As I __________ (to pass) the well-remembered door, I __________ (to have) a strong desire to see Sherlock Holmes again, and to know how he __________ (to use) his extraordinary powers. His rooms were brilliantly lit, and, when I __________ (to look) up, I __________ (to see) his tall figure pass the window twice. He __________ (to pace) the room swiftly, eagerly, with his head sunk upon his chest and his hands clasped behind him. To me, a person who __________ (to know) his every mood and habit, his attitude and manner __________ (to tell) their own story. He __________ (to be) at work again. He __________ (to rise) out of his drug-created dreams and __________ (to be) hot on the scent of some new problem. I __________ (to ring) the bell and his housekeeper __________ (to show) me up to the flat, which in the past __________ (to be) in part my own.
Translate the sentences into English.
- Ich radelte gerade zur Schule, als ich sah, dass meine Socken nicht zueinander passten.
- Sie suchten 20 Minuten nach dem neuen Restaurant, bevor sie letztendlich das Schild sahen.
- Bevor das Mädchen Spanien besuchte, hatte sie noch nie im Ozean gebadet.
- Es hatte noch nicht angefangen zu regnen, bevor wir im Park für das Picknick angekommen waren.
- Er schloss gerade die Tür seiner Wohnung ab, als er das Telefon klingeln hörte.