Mark the passive voice in the text. Then write each phrase and the type of passive voice that is used. In the text you will find the simple present passive, present progressive passive, simple past passive, present perfect passive, and future passive.
- Newport High School was founded in 1955 and was named for the town of Newport. Our high school building is located at 25 North Main Street. Currently, our school is attended by over 1200 students in grades 9 through 12. Home to the Fighting Falcons, our school participates in many men’s and women’s sports events. Last year, our football team was named the league champion.
- In addition to sports, our students actively participate in many other school-related activities including theater club, music groups (such as band, choir and orchestra), visual art organizations, and student government organizations. These organizations are loved by the students and local community alike.
- Our teachers are known for their commitment to their students. About 100 teachers and support staff work at Newport High School. Several teachers have been recognized for their excellent teaching. In 2017, the school’s Science Department received a special award from the state governor for its innovative teaching practices.
- At the moment, a new high school building is being built in order to accommodate an increase in the number of students in our area. When it is finished, Newport High School North will be attended by about 700 students and Newport High School will be attended by about 500 students. Those numbers are expected to increase dramatically over the next five years.
Write passive sentences using the information given. Do not change the word order.
- our band’s new song / to download / 3,000 times / since Tuesday (present perfect passive)
- by next week / the popular action film / to see / by over 10 million people (future passive)
- crying child / to take / out of the restaurant / by his father (simple past passive)
- your order / to process (present progressive passive)
- his car / to inspect / when the technicians / to find / a problem with the engine (past progressive passive)
- their flight / to cancel / the day before their holiday / to begin (past perfect passive)
- our website / to visited / by over 10,000 people (present perfect passive)
- the food / to prepare / by my sister / when the smoke alarm / to go off (past progressive passive)
Write 8-10 passive sentences that give information about Germany or another country. Use the verbs and nouns below and/or think of your own.
born, build, celebrate, eat, hold, produce, speak, win
Beethoven, Brandenburg Gate, cars, power/energy/electricity, German, Jan. 1, the German national football team, potato salad, 2006 World Cup
Translate the sentences into English.
- Meiner Meinung nach, sollten Handys in Schulen erlaubt sein.
- Wir wurden gewarnt, nicht auf der vereisten Straße zu fahren.
- Wird die Geschichte vergessen, wird sie sich wiederholen.
- Unser Sommertrip nach Südafrika wird gerade von meinen Großeltern geplant.
- Dieses Jahr wurden bisher erst fünf Wale gesichtet.