Hinweis: Die Prozentangaben in Klammern zeigen die Gewichtung der einzelnen Aufgaben.
You are on the committee of a British publishing house which is about to print a collection of texts on conflicts in multicultural Britain. The target audience is advanced school students in Germany and Britain. The jury therefore consists of journalists and students of your age living in Germany and Great Britain. Some stories and excerpts from novels have already been chosen, including Hanif Kureishi’s "My Son the Fanatic." A further text could be an excerpt from the novel A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks. You have been asked to write an article in which you recommend whether to include Faulks’ excerpt. Your article will be posted on the jury’s internet platform.
1. Before writing your article, you
- describe the situation and the thoughts of the protagonist
- analyse the narrative perspective and its effect on the reader.
2. Write the article justifying whether the excerpt should be included in the text collection on conflicts in multicultural Britain. Consider whether the text
- lends a valuable insight into the mind of a young Muslim ‘fanatic’ in Britain
- provides useful material for lively class discussions
- is a suitable addition to a collection which already contains “My Son the Fanatic.”