Read the passive sentences. Write the tense of the passive sentences on the line.
Answers could be the following: simple present passive, present progressive passive, present perfect passive, simple past passive, past progressive passive, past perfect passive, and future passive.
- The programme will be attended by all the new trainees. __________________
- This delicious cake was made by Sarah. __________________
- The train tracks were being inspected this morning, so it took me more time to get to school than usual. __________________
- Kyle is being seen by the doctor now. __________________
- This jacket was given to me by my sister. __________________
- The visitors had been told by the tour guide not to take pictures, but they did it anyway. __________________
- My order has already been taken by that waiter. But thank you for your help. __________________
- The party will be held at Bill’s house. His parents are away for the weekend. __________________
- By December 10 we will have been sent the order. __________________
- The fire started while the young boy was being watched by his neighbour. __________________
- The programme will be attended by all the new trainees. future passive
- This delicious cake was made by Sarah. simple past passive
- The train tracks were being inspected this morning, so it took me more time to get to school than usual. past progressive passive
- Kyle is being seen by the doctor now. present progressive passive
- This jacket was given to me by my sister. simple past passive
- The visitors had been told by the tour guide not to take pictures, but they did it anyway. past perfect passive
- My order has already been taken by that waiter. But thank you for your help. present perfect passive
- The party will be held at Bill’s house. His parents are away for the weekend. future passive
- By December 10 we will have been sent the order. future passive
- The fire started while the young boy was being watched by his neighbour. past progressive passive
Use the passive to describe the steps from harvesting cotton to purchasing a T-shirt. Write at least 8-10 sentences. Use the pictures to help you.
Hint: Use the simple present passive to describe a general process.
The cotton is grown and harvested. After that, the cotton is spun into thread. The thread is then woven into fabric. Then the fabric is sewn (by workers) to make shirts. The shirts are transported, very often by ship, to other countries around the world. When the shipments arrive, the shirts are loaded into trucks/lorries and (are) delivered to stores or shopping centers. The shirts are then tagged and put onto the shelves for sale. Finally, the shirts are bought by / sold to customers.
Listen and then answer the questions. A friend of yours missed the report, but needs to drive to a friend’s house later today.
- What’s the problem and what has been the result so far?
- Where did it happen?
- When did it happen?
- Who is responsible?
- Who has been affected? What should your friend do?
- How did it happen?
- Cows/cattle have entered the roadway. The southwest freeway has been closed by state officials.
- The cattle entered the freeway between Alley’s Way and Marrington.
- It happened between 10:00 and 10:25.
- No one knows who is responsible, but it might be a rancher whose ranch is located about 12 miles from the roadway.
- People affected include drivers who are currently on the road, and drivers who expected to use the southwest freeway later today. If she wants to use the southwest freeway, my friend must find an alternate route.
- No one knows how/why it happened. Police are investigating.
Rewrite the sentences so that sentences in passive voice are active voice, and sentences in active voice are passive voice. One sentence contains both passive and active.
- In the last years of the nineteenth century, our world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than ours.
- While men were dealing with their various concerns, we were being studied by the Martians.
- Man had been blinded by his own importance.
- No writers believed that intelligent life might have developed on Mars.
- Nor was it generally understood that since Mars is older than our earth, it was also nearer to its end.
- The immediate necessity to find a new home motivated the Martians to take action.
- They saw a morning star of hope: our own warmer planet.
- Before we judge them too harshly, we must remember what ruthless and utter destruction our own species has brought about.
- The Martians had calculated their descent with amazing subtlety.
- We might have seen the gathering trouble far back in the nineteenth century, but our instruments were not good enough.
- For countless centuries, Mars has been called the star of war by us.
Adapted from: Wells, H.G. The War of the Worlds. 1898.
- Active: In the last years of the nineteenth century, intelligences greater than ours were keenly and closely watching our world.
- Both: While various concerns were being dealt with by men, the Martians were studying us.
- Active: Man’s own importance had blinded him.
- Passive: It was not believed that intelligent life might have developed on Mars.
- Active: People did not generally understand that since Mars is older than our earth, its end was nearer.
- Passive: The Martians were motivated to take action by the immediate necessity of finding a new home.
- Passive: A morning star of hope was seen by them: our own warmer planet.
- Passive: Before they are too harshly judged (by us), we must remember that ruthless and utter destruction has been brought about by our own species.
- Passive: Their descent had been calculated with amazing subtlety.
- Passive: The gathering trouble might have been seen (by us) back in the nineteenth century, but our instruments were not good enough.
- Active: For countless centuries, we have called Mars the star of war.
Dieses Dokument stammt aus dem Lernportal Duden Learnattack und ist unter folgender URL aufrufbar:
Weitere Englischthemen findest du hier
Wähle deine Klassenstufe