Past tense (1)
Complete the sentences with the verbs in the past perfect.
- When Sally arrived at home, her husband (already prepare) dinner.
- As my brother (forget) to tell me that I was supposed to go to the supermarket, we didn’t have anything to eat last night.
- When Billy finally got to the train station, the train (already leave).
- Samantha was very tired because she (work) hard all day.
- When Christine met one of her favourite TV stars on Broadway, she was very excited because she (never see) any stars before.
- On Thursday, Dan came home from a long journey around the world and his mum was very happy to see him again as she (not even talk) to him for a month.
Put the verb into the specified form.
- he / to dream (simple past)
- we / to cut (present progressive)
- it / to shake (present perfect simple)
- I / to eat (past progressive)
- they / to feel (past perfect simple)
- it / to shine (present perfect simple)
- you / to stand (present perfect progressive)
- they / to cost (simple past)
- he / think (simple present)
Listen to the track below.
- Complete the notes. Write short answers to the questions.
- Who? - Sir Francis, Lord , and sailors, the Great , an English
- Listen to the track again and answer the following questions.
- Where does the English fleet wait?
- Why do the Spaniards want to attack the English?
- What happens after the sailor in the lookout shouts that the Spaniards are coming?
- What does Lord Howard mean when he says “There’s no time to lose”?
- Why is Lord Howard so puzzled when he sees Sir Francis Drake writing into his logbook as all the other sailors are running to their ships?
- Why does Sir Francis Drake not run to his ship like all the other men?
- What is Sir Francis Drake’s plan?
- What is the advantage (= Vorteil) of small ships and how does that help the English?
- Where does the Great Armada retreat to (= sich zurückziehen) after the first fight?
- What are fire-ships and what do the English do with them?
Find the meaning of the following words from the track of Aufgabe 3. You can listen to the track again.
- play bowls
- take a rest
- at their tail
Check whether you can apply the present perfect and the past perfect correctly. Pay attention to the correct translation of "seit"!
- Wie lange wohnt ihr schon in eurem neuen Haus?
- Wir wohnen seit einem Monat in diesem Haus.
- Bevor wir in dieses Haus gezogen waren, hatten wir eine Mietswohnung.
Dieses Dokument stammt aus dem Lernportal Duden Learnattack und ist unter folgender URL aufrufbar:
Weitere Englischthemen findest du hier
Wähle deine Klassenstufe