Formelle Briefe schreiben (1)
One of the following expressions is not suitable for writing a formal letter. Cross the odd one out.
- Dear Madam – Hello Susan – Gentlemen – Dear Dr Roberts
- Please inform us about – Thank you for your efforts in advance. – Drop me a line. – I should be pleased to receive your answer soon.
- Yours faithfully – Sincerely yours – Lots of love – Yours sincerely
True or false? Correct the false sentences.
- In a formal letter, you should use informal language only.
- Start all formal letters with “Dear Sir or Madam”.
- In a formal letter, the address (but not your name) is put in the top right corner.
- The name and address of the receiver are put below the address of the sender.
- You can end a formal letter with “CU” or “Love”.
- Americans do mind if you use casual language in an official letter.
- In an informal letter, you should not use short forms such as "don’t".
You will go on your exchange trip to Vancouver in a few weeks. You already sent a letter to your host Family. A few days after you sent your letter you receive an e-mail from the family. Unfortunately something went wrong and the sentences have been jumbled. Bring them into the correct order.
- for Thank friendly you letter. your
- very excited before. never had We are also because we have a German pupil our house in about your stay,
- well. about yourself each other Now that we are sure so many things you have told us get on with that we will
- a very nice person, You seem many things to be and in common. we have
- some things tell about us. you Let us
- five people: mother Caroline, consists of daughter Jules. and Our family Grandpa Jimmy, son Danny, father Dan,
- you can in this country. all of us as is usual Of course, our first names, call by
- too; we’ve got a dog, his name is terrier, Oh, and and Brutus. he’s a Yorkshire
- to school Danny you can go with him. years old, is so nearly fifteen
- It is funny, so I guess but you have you will be good friends nearly the same hobbies, in no time.
- him better. Please and Danny as soon as possible the next e-mail, so that you write back will answer can get to know
- soon. looking forward to meeting you We are
Caroline, Dan, Jimmy, Danny and Jules
Mrs. Schulz has organised the exchange trip with the help of a professional organisation. They have sent you a letter, but the person who wrote it does not know what a formal letter should look like. Turn this informal letter into a formal one.
Hello Hanno Beckman!
Thank you for going abroad with the Europe-America Student Exchange. We just want to let you know that everything has been organized for your trip. Look into the envelope, and you will find the tickets for your flight. If you have any questions or problems before you leave for America, please call our office whenever you have the time and want to. Since it is my job to help, I will have to do it if I can.
Lots of greetings,
Translate the following sentences either into German or English.
- Ich wäre Ihnen sehr verbunden, wenn Sie mir weitere Information zukommen lassen würden.
- Please send us details concerning your new film.
- Im Voraus vielen Dank für Ihre Mühe.
- We have not recieved the items orderd on 11th July.
Dieses Dokument stammt aus dem Lernportal Duden Learnattack und ist unter folgender URL aufrufbar:
Weitere Englischthemen findest du hier
Wähle deine Klassenstufe